WMUWoman's Missionary Union
WMU Mission Projects:
- Each week, we assemble nutritional Snax Sax for students at Centerville Elementary School to provide food for the weekend.
- We host a quarterly Red Cross Blood Drive.
- Twice a year, we support the church-wide service of changing oil for between 100-200 cars, and feeding and ministering to single moms and their children.
- Twice a year, we provide lunch for the English as a Second Language classes at Central Baptist Church.
- Every 5th Sunday, we collect pantry items for Pack a Sack for Christian Social Ministries.
- We promote a Week of Prayer for international missions and for North American missions, and for the offerings that attend each.
- Every year, we sponsor a church-wide prayer walk of schools close to our church. We do ongoing work with local schools throughout the year.
- Our groups use their talents to make craft gifts for our missions teams to take with them. We’ve sent Christmas ornaments to Russia, bookmarks to Brazil and Russia, necklaces to Kenya, and dresses to an orphanage in Kenya.
Women on Mission
First Baptist Centerville has several Women on Mission groups that meet once a month. A Women on Mission group can follow several different themes but typically uses the WMU magazine Mosaic as the basis of a monthly study on practical, current missions and to promote missions education and prayer for our missionaries. These groups of ladies typically carry the banner for the annual emphasis on International Missions/Lottie Moon Christmas Offering and the annual emphasis on North American Missions/Annie Armstrong Easter Offering. We are always looking for new groups to begin either around interests such as Mission Study, Round Table Book discussions, Mission Action, or other interests. If you need more information, or are interested in starting a new group, email Luann Purcell. Our current Women on Mission groups are listed below with their times and locations for the monthly meetings.
Lydia & Veatch Baptist Women on Mission
1st Tuesday afternoon of the month
2 PM • W101
Hepner Threads of Love Craft Ministry
1st Saturday morning of the month
9 AM • D Bldg.
Titus 2 Women on Mission (18 and up!)
4th Thursday evening of the month
6 PM • W101
Founded in 1888, WMU (Woman’s Missionary Union) is an organization for women whose mission is to educate and involve women girls, and preschoolers in the cause of Christian missions.
Their specific objectives are to:
- Pray for and give to missions.
- Do missions.
- Learn about missions.
- Develop spiritually toward a missions lifestyle.
- Participate in the work of the church and the Southern Baptist Convention.
Locally, the FBC group organizes food drives throughout the year and provides leadership with the migrant worker ministry.